9.27.2024

American Crapitalism - again

It must be "Rant" day.

I hate American Crapitalism - Again.

I've been a Frontier DSL customer for about 7 or 8 years. It's been my only choice for broadband access until recently when a couple other companies entered our area. So, I'm looking around for a better deal.

Now DSL isn't fast 15MB download and about 1mb upload (at best) but the wires are in the ground and it's been pretty reliable. Still it's about 85$ a month for basic internet service.

I found a fiber provider who could supply a faster connection (100MB/10mb) for about half the price 40$ a month.

Now Frontier has had fiber going right past my house for a couple years and I've been told several times that they would have a fiber connection to me in just a few months but it never happened. So, before I pull the trigger and switch I give Frontier a call to see when/if their fiber would be available to me.

Their phone system was holy hell. It was about ten minutes and I must have said "speak to a human" twenty times before I actually got someone. 

My question seemed simple "Is fiber available at my address if not can you tell when it may be available?".

Forty-five minutes and two CSRs later I still didn't have an answer. Then I was cut-off.

Fuck them, I'm changing.

I call them back. Another 10 minutes to get to a human. This guy is good and cancels my service. He says that I won't see any more bills and won't have to return their equipment.

Then I get an email from them saying I will have to return the router and I should get a QR code soon. So, I wait. No QR code.

Next day I use their customer support chat tool to let them know. They check the email address and phone, try to send the QR but I never get it. They sent a test email. I get it. Send another QR I don't get it. 

Finally the tell me it'll come overnight. check back tomorrow.

Next day, Still no QR code. Call them back. Same thing. Check the email address and phone, try to send the QR. Nope. Send test email. I get it. Send another QR I don't get it.

Eventually, this guy gives up and says he'll send me a box and label. It'll take a few days.

About 4 hours later I get a text message with a QR code. Damn. 

Probably 2-3 hours of my time wasted fucking around on something I should have been able to do online in a few minutes.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment